Our social commerce trends bulletin is a monthly roundup of the best and most exciting social media news we’ve seen.
This bulletin (you don’t hear that word enough anymore) is to provide you with bitesize bits of goodness on all things visual and social content — what’s trending in the social sphere, what new themes we’re seeing from brands and retailers, what the cool kids are doing, etc. There will be plenty of linked articles, impressive stats, fun new things to digest, and you may even spot your own brand in there!
We’ll be posting these monthly so make sure you don’t miss out, because social moves quick. Enjoy!
Spring has officially sprung and it’s time to start tanning, because sweater weather is coming to an end. And if you’re as sick as I am of reading about Will Smith and the slap, here’s a bit of social commerce goodness.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, retail
People are finally realizing that climate change is real and it’s no secret that companies need to start doing their part. You’re either with us, or we’re against you:
- Macy’s is investing $5 billion in social responsibility efforts while Target and Amazon debut sustainable store concepts — ‘Target Zero’ appeals to consumers’ sustainability concerns
- REI, North Face, and Patagonia to protest Outdoor Retailer conference because their beliefs don’t align with Utah’s stance on national monuments, and Patagonia teams up with Dogfish on an environmentally minded brew
- IPG’s Momentum to track environmental impact as experiential bounces back
- And cheers to Coors for removing plastic rings for a sustainable future
Video (and social) killed the radio star
…and caused BIG shifts in how consumers engage with content. So much so that 66% of brands spent more on creator marketing in the past year:
- Bazaarvoice (that’s us) introduced scheduling for Instagram Reels. We have the entire Instagram ecosystem covered
- Master of short-form no more, 10 minute vids are coming to TikTok. While IG is shutting down IGTV App and removing in-stream video ads
- Home Depot launches business workshops to help their relationship with the professional
- Instacart adds shoppable recipe tool to TikTok — yum
- Merrell pushes fresh air over gimmicky self care gadgets, like women swap store bought crystals for real life mountains. This is one thing this Colorado gal can get around
- Twitter launches live test of new profile shops to display products in app while Acura becomes first automaker to launch NFT and virtual showroom
- Snapchat is coming for your brain as they acquire brain reading tech for next stage of digital interaction — is nothing sacred?
THE BEAT GOES ON
Just when you thought the department store was dying, they’re getting more crafty! Or at least making, “a lasting comeback” given the last 2+ years of constraints. Also, I’m introducing you to the newest of new terms — The ‘phygital’ era. No, like, actually read that one – I promise you’ll like it.
- Nordstrom is building a media network(!!)
- Kohl’s wants to transform from a department store to “a focused lifestyle concept” while Macy’s unveils their new Own Your Style brand platform
We love to see it.
RELAX. It’s just a joke
See you next month!