User-generated content increases conversion, doubles page views for Halfords
- Review readers and writers convert 82% higher
- Customers who interact with online Q&A convert 58% higher
Halfords is the UK's leading retailer of car maintenance, enhancement, and leisure products. The retailer operates over 460 stores across the UK, Republic of Ireland, and Czech Republic. They have an active online community at www.halfords.co.uk.
In April 2008, Halfords teamed with Bazaarvoice to implement Ratings & Reviews and Ask & Answer, to further engage with its clients online and drive sales. By September 2009, Halfords was receiving an average of over 100 user contributions and interactions daily. Analysis done at this point proved that user-generated content had a positive impact on Halfords’s online business.
What we measured
We looked at Ratings & Reviews and Ask & Answer audiences separately. In both cases, we compared visitors who interacted with Ratings & Reviews or Ask & Answer – those who either read or wrote content – with those who did neither. We measured data from 16 August to 16 September, 2009.
Review readers and writers convert 82% higher
Those who interact with reviews convert much higher than those who don’t. We also found that those who interact with Ratings & Reviews also view 180% more pages per session, indicating enhanced engagement in addition to increased conversion.
Customers who interact with online Q&A convert 58% higher
Analysis also showed that those who interact with Ask & Answer – either by asking/answering questions or by reading answers – convert at a rate 58% higher than that of those who don’t interact with Ask & Answer. This group also views 172% more pages per session.
1On basis of turnover
2As of 26 September 2008
More Case Studies
- Customers sharing experiences bring 250% higher conversion rate for specialty website
- Hong Kong Import’s program with Bazaarvoice gives customers an easy way to ask for advice, comment on products and find what they’re looking for.
- Entire organization rallies to improve product ratings, sales
- Oriental Trading Company sees a direct correlation between ratings and sales. Its highest-rated products convert at double the rate of average- or low-rated products.
- La-Z-Boy Comfort Stories campaign drives 13,000 new prospects
- Using Bazaarvoice's Campaigns, La-Z-Boy aimed to drive registrations and opt-ins, drive return visits and frequency, and increase natural search traffic.